Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Whole Story...

So Alec decided to come out very quickly...at 2am that morning I started feeling my first contractions ever and I couldn't go back to sleep. I waited a few minutes (20 to be exact) and noticed they were already 7 minutes apart, and so I woke Steve up. He was really excited to go to the hospital!! On the way there, the contractions were 4 minutes apart and they were getting quite strong. When we got the hospital, I was only 2 1/2 cm dilated and so the nurse asked to me walk around for 2 hours, and if I wasn't 4 cm by then, I would have to go home :( I was determined not to go home cause I was in so much pain by then. As I started walking around my contractions felt like they were 30 seconds apart, each one was right after the other and I couldn't walk or sit or do anything cause it was just so uncomfortable and painful. I told the nurse that, but she still made me wait the whole 2 hours to check me again. By then, I was already 4cm dilated, and they admitted me to the delivery room. By the way, this whole time I went to the bathroom every 10 minutes or so...I had a strong urge to pee and poop the whole time, but 'number 2' never come out...After I settled in the delivery room and got all hooked up and signed the Epidural waiver, I asked the nurse to unhook me one more time as felt like I reaaaaally needed to go to the bathroom again for 'number 2'...she then decided to check me as I was bleeding quite a bit...and guess what? I was already 9 cm dilated!!! I went from a 4 to a 9 in less than 1 hr...and the nurse said that she could already see his head and I just needed to start pushing. She told me the feeling I had to go to the bathroom is because his head was pressing down there. So I started pushing, and after 45 minutes Alec was born! Everything went really fast, I didn't get to have the Epidural and I was really scared of the pain. In the end, I'm glad how everything went because I was able to feel such a relief when he was born and I really didn't feel any pain after that. I had no tearing or cuts, and I was able to walk to the bathroom shortly after. I just felt sooo great! The nurses and doctors told me I handled it really well, they told me I was really calm...but I didn't feel that way inside! I never noticed my water break, it must have happened as went to the bathroom one of the times. Alec was born 7 lbs and 8 ounces, and 20 1/2 inches long, with lots of black hair. He immediately started nursing without any problems and hasn't stopped ever since. He loves to suck! He is such a good baby and will only cry if he's hungry.
We are all doing great and I feel so blessed on how everything went so smoothly. I've had a lot of energy lately and I love staying home with him. It's amazing how our lives can change in a minute. I don't think I can live without our little Alec... I'm addicted to him!
I'll try and be good and take more pictures of him and post here more often...Hope everyone is doing great too!









6 comments:

New Mommy K said...

Gabby, he is so cute!! and has so much hair. I'm doing better, I just drive until the middle of February. E-mail me your address so I can send you a Christmas card.

MY LIFE said...

He's soooo cute.I'm glad that everything went just fine and you're home with your baby.Call me if you need anything or if you want to get together.

SIMCOX FAMILY said...

He's soooo cute.I'm glad that everything went just fine and you're home with your baby.Call me if you need anything or if you want to get together.

Sarah and Nate said...

Gabi, you did great! He is adorable. Hope you guys are getting some sleep and enjoying little Alec!

Tasha said...

He is adorable and I mean that. I'm glad your labor went well. Wouldn't that of made you mad if they sent you home...haha. Some of the nurses are annoying.

Amber and Mike said...

That's exciting, I'm glad everything went well for you! I'm nervous thinking about labor.I'll be experience the joy of having our boy really soon!